Lose Weight Safely with Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Weight gain and obesity can put your health at risk, causing you to develop chronic illnesses or other health concerns. Many people have trouble losing weight on their own, and in some cases, may not have the time to lose weight through diet and exercise alone, as their health is in immediate danger. In cases such as these, Garden State Bariatrics can help you get started on a healthier path by performing gastric sleeve surgery at one of our three New Jersey locations including Millburn, Toms River and Browns Mills. Weight loss surgeries are our specialty, and we’re committed to helping you regain your life and take better control of your health. Please reach out to us to learn more about our bariatric procedures or to request a consultation.
What Is Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery, also known as gastric sleeve surgery, is a weight loss procedure used to help overweight or obese individuals rapidly lose weight and become healthier. During the procedure, a vertical portion of the stomach is removed to reduce the overall size of the stomach. The stomach that remains looks like a sleeve or narrow tube (hence the name “sleeve”). Unlike other bariatric surgeries that also reroute the intestines, sleeve gastrectomy leaves the digestive tract untouched, which makes the surgery simpler and can make the recovery easier. The procedure uses two mechanisms to help you lose weight:
- Restrictive: The surgery restricts the amount of food you’re able to eat by reducing the size of the stomach from 32 ounces (size of a football) to about 8 to 10 ounces (size of a banana). Limiting food intake is the first step to successful weight loss.
- Chemical/Hormonal: The sleeve procedure produces a second “chemical/hormonal” effect in that it significantly reduces your appetite for a prolonged period of time, ranging from one to three years. The reduced appetite helps to support ongoing weight loss, making the sleeve gastrectomy a very impactful bariatric option.
Why Is Sleeve Gastrectomy Recommended?
Sleeve gastrectomy is recommended to help patients lose weight. However, it can also be used to treat many other health conditions that develop due to excess weight. If you are overweight and suffer from many other ailments as a result, your doctor may recommend sleeve gastrectomy to help you combat your problems. The procedure can help treat the following weight-related conditions:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Type II diabetes
- Obesity and depression
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
There is more than one option of weight loss surgery available, which means it’s important to consider the benefits of each option before making your final decision. Sleeve gastrectomy provides many benefits for patients and has become a popular choice for those looking to lose weight and regain their health. Sleeve gastrectomy is an excellent option due to the following benefits it provides:
- Permanent Solution: Sleeve gastrectomy provides a permanent weight loss solution, helping you completely change your lifestyle and remain healthy for the long-term.
- Rapid Results: Sleeve gastrectomy can help you achieve quick weight loss results by significantly reducing your appetite and controlling food intake. On average, many patients lose approximately 50 to 60 percent of their excess body weight.
How Does Sleeve Gastrectomy Produce Weight Loss?
Sleeve gastrectomy effectively helps you lose weight because it both restricts food intake and changes the biology of weight regulation. With a smaller stomach, you won’t be able to eat as much, which is obviously a major factor in weight loss. In addition, the procedure changes the biology of weight loss in your body. Losing weight without surgery, such as with diet and exercise programs, can be difficult to achieve, and even more difficult to maintain because the body has specific biologic mechanisms in place to maintain your weight and prevent weight loss. Sleeve gastrectomy changes this, effectively resetting the bodyweight “set-point” to a lower weight. This change in biology is what helps to make long-term weight loss possible following the surgery.
Why Choose Garden State Bariatrics?
If you’re considering bariatric surgery to help you lose weight, Garden State Bariatrics is an excellent choice to answer your questions and help you determine the best surgical solution to assist you in reaching your goals. We have many years of experience and a team of qualified surgeons and medical staff to guide you through a successful procedure. Please reach out to us today to schedule a consultation. During this appointment, you’ll have the opportunity to speak to one of our doctors about your surgical options and ask any questions you may have.